- The existing 50’s cottage was not structurally sound for renovation. StateWide Demolition advised they were able to re-use/recycle 97% of the pre-existing building materials.
- A (small) number of bottles of fine South West Australian wine at a cabin in Denmark WA, along with some scissors, cardboard and markers helped create our functional requirements.
- Essential homework and preparation with Landgate, Telstra, Western Power and the Water Corporation, to determine extent of telco/grid power/water in and out. No natural gas connection to the property and it stayed that way.
Solar passive design – there is way too much to write here so:
- See Griff and the team at Solar Dwellings – solardwellings.com.au
- yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/ (source of images below)
- Core design considerations included:
- Integrating the buildings metabolism as part of the wider community/system i.e. mass, carbon, energy and water flows.
- Perth climate – category 5 (temperate).
- Windows/Glazing type, orientation and location.
- Roof and ceiling buffer zones.
- Mixed mass construction materials.
- Natural lighting and shading, heating and cooling.
- Natural ventilation and air flow – breathable walls and interior.
- Certifications i.e. NatHers, carbon/energy/material/water lifecycle analysis, Greywater.
- Hydrozones for bio-diversity – avoiding mono-cultures of plants, trees and shrubs.
- Optimising use of natural energy from the earth and allowing groundwater replenishment for rainwater not harvested.
- Renewable energy.